New Happy Taco, the dingy little Tex-Mex joint near the intersection of Park Place, Flatbush and Seventh Avenues, has been locked tight since being shuttered by the DOH last Tuesday.
The restaurant, which has the same owners as Ruby Chinese Food next door, racked up an unpleasant 82 violation points. This place was certainly nothing special (as is evidenced by Yelp reviews), but it was quick and cheap, if not much else.
It'll be interesting to see if this place can turn it around and open back up, or if this will be the sad end for Happy Taco. My guess is that it's back in business by the end of the week.
Click through for all the grimy details.
1) Hot food item not held at or above 140º F.
2) Raw, cooked or prepared food is adulterated, contaminated, cross-contaminated, or not discarded in accordance with HACCP plan.
3) Live roaches present in facility's food and/or non-food areas.
4) Filth flies or food/refuse/sewage-associated (FRSA) flies present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas. Filth flies include house flies, little house flies, blow flies, bottle flies and flesh flies. Food/refuse/sewage-associated flies include fruit flies, drain flies and Phorid flies.
5) Hand washing facility not provided in or near food preparation area and toilet room. Hot and cold running water at adequate pressure to enable cleanliness of employees not provided at facility. Soap and an acceptable hand-drying device not provided.
6) Facility not vermin proof. Harborage or conditions conducive to attracting vermin to the premises and/or allowing vermin to exist.
7) Mechanical or natural ventilation system not provided, improperly installed, in disrepair and/or fails to prevent excessive build-up of grease, heat, steam condensation vapors, odors, smoke, and fumes.