Four months after being put on the market, one of the oldest businesses in the neighborhood and one of the only remaining craftsmen's workshops east of Fourth Avenue, Mega Glass and Sashes, on Fifth between St. Marks and Bergen, will officially be closing its doors soon, and The Chocolate Room, the popular cafe a block away devoted entirely to chocolate, will be moving in.
Park Slope Patch is reporting that The Chocolate Room's rent skyrocketed, and owners Naomi Josepher and Jon Payson reached a deal with Mega Glass' landlord where the asking price was lowered to an affordable point. According to the report, "they intend to keep and restore many parts of the shop," but Mega Glass is such a no-frills operation, with nothing but tools, an ancient work table, and even older shelves and cubbyholes, that it's basically impossible to figure out what aspects of it can be incorporated into a chocolate cafe. And while the report mentions that the business is "over 50 years" old, it's in fact 101 years old, run by the Swir family from 1912 to 1972, when it was taken over by the current owners, the Garrastegui family.
The new owners will be moving out of their current space when the lease expires on January 31 and into this much larger one shortly thereafter, and will also be opening up the backyard.